Tisdahl expresses support for newly introduced assault weapons ban

Evanston Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl expressed support today for a U.S. senator’s legislation to ban assault weapons.

The Assault Weapons Ban of 2013, introduced Thursday by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), would ban more than 150 military-style assault weapons, according to the senator’s website.

Tisdahl expressed support for the legislation, which came days after Vice President Joe Biden gave the president recommendations to combat gun violence.

“We have too many guns in our communities, and we must work together to get them off the streets,” Tisdahl said in a news release.

The bill, which was cosponsored by Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and 15 other Democrats, would also ban ammunition magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds. Should the bill pass, assault weapons legally possessed before the ban’s start date would be exempt from the ban.

The National Rifle Association opposes the legislation.

After last month’s Newtown, Conn., shooting, Tisdahl joined a coalition of “Mayors Against Illegal Guns” to call for background checks and other measures that would make possessing guns difficult for dangerous people.

On Thursday, Tisdahl said the legislation would address some of the White House solutions to gun violence and help her keep the city safe.

“As a mayor, I am bestowed with the duty to keep my community safe, and these common sense solutions will help go a long way in fulfilling that solemn responsibility,” she said.

— Manuel Rapada