Films to cheer up your sick day

There’s a nasty flu going around campus and many of you, like this poor reviewer, are stuck at home with the sniffles. But even constrained to your room you can still enjoy a good movie! Here’s a list of films that can cheer you up when you’re feeling under the weather:

Old childhood favorites:

Nothing says comfort like wrapping yourself up in a movie you loved as a kid. For me that means films like “The Sandlot” and “Now and Then.” Both are timeless tales of youthful joy and friendship that happen to take place in the idealized 60s. In “The Sandlot,” you have new-to-town Scotty Smalls trying to fit in with his baseball-playing neighbors one hot summer and a rather epic showdown with the neighborhood monster dog. In “Now and Then,” four friends reminisce about their formative summer together coping with family and boy drama. I’ve seen both of these films a hundred times but I still enjoy every re-watch.

Classic comedies:

There is a reason why everyone understands “Mean Girls” references: That movie is perfect and hilarious. It’s the best film to have on in the background as you’re half asleep with the flu, or one to distract you from your coughing with laughter. How many times can you watch “Mean Girls?” “The limit does not exist.”

Some other great comedies: “Wet Hot American Summer,” an absurdist and star-studded look at summer camp life, and “Clueless,” a ’90s retelling of Jane Austen’s “Emma” [http://www.austen.com/emma/] for Valley girls that never stops being funny. “Anchorman,” endlessly quotable and maybe Will Ferrell’s best film. Not to mention the recent DVD release of “Pitch Perfect,” which everyone should see. Any movie that makes you laugh is great for a sick day; just try not to laugh so hard it turns into hacking.

Tear-jerkers:

Sometimes when you’re feeling sick you just want a good cry. So if you want a movie that will give you another purpose for your tissues besides blowing your nose, there are a lot to choose from. “The Notebook” is a crying classic, a love story that makes you want to sob even when it’s supposed to be happy. “A Walk to Remember” is even worse; I can never sit through it with dry eyes. “Titanic,” although long, is rife with sadness. But if you want a movie with a little less romance, try “Toy Story 3,” “Brian’s Song,” or “Rudy.”

Disney:

Seriously, anything Disney. Did you know ABC Family had a marathon last weekend? I watched the whole thing. Pick your favorite Disney film and go, singing along to all the words and feeling like a kid again. The point is to feel happy on your miserable sick day, and Disney is the perfect fix for that.

And, of course, the ultimate feel-better flick: “Singin’ in the Rain.” Trust me, this Gene Kelly musical can cure any illness.

Films to cheer up your sick day