New musicians to bet on in 2013

For me, the 2012 year in music can be summed up in three words: call, me and maybe. If anything, Carly Rae Jepsen’s incredible rise to the top of the charts (and hearts) of pop-culture enthusiasts shows that in music these days, anything can happen. As an outspoken, shameless Carly Rae fan, I’m obviously super excited to see what 2013 holds for her. But more importantly, I’m looking forward to watching other artists on the fringes finally make it big.

Some people claim 2012 was the year of One Direction. I have to admit, even I could not resist the dulcet tones of those five dapper lads from across the pond (full disclosure: Niall is my favorite — I know, bold statement). The success of One Direction and similar group The Wanted shows that the boy band is back and here to stay. But I think 2013 is going to signal the comeback of another music staple from the early 2000s: the girl group. The Destiny’s Child reunion I have been dreaming about for years is finally coming to fruition, and their comeback could open the doors for similar acts trying to break into the spotlight. In particular, I’m looking at Fifth Harmony, Little Mix and The Saturdays to come onto the scene and take the charts by storm. So watch out boys, these ladies have the talent and the fierceness to take the reigns in 2013 and bring the girl group back for good.

But never fear, One Directioners — if 2012 proved anything, it was that Americans are falling more and more in love with British music. Since stars like Ellie Goulding, Jessie J and Cher Lloyd have started to bridge the gap between American and British tastes, I think it’s safe to say 2013 could mark a British invasion on a level unseen since the 1960s. And this time, the Brits are bringing something for everyone. From romantic lyricists like Ed Sheeran to pop mainstays like Olly Murs and Conor Maynard, the Brits are producing some of the best new talent out there, and I for one am ready for them to find stardom in the States.

Among many of the British stars set for fame this year is Rita Ora, a 22-year-old singer-songwriter who has already had three singles hit number one in the U.K. Her unique sense of style has started to draw attention from the American media, and her increasing popularity indicates America is ready for a new group of pop princesses. Carly Rae Jepsen’s success has undoubtedly paved the way for Ora and similar singers like Sky Ferreira and Wynter Gordon to break into an industry seemingly dominated by the same few hit-makers. And even though I love Rihanna and Lady Gaga as much as the next girl, I’m sincerely hoping these ladies and other artists on the outskirts finally find the success they deserve this year.

Check out the playlist of artists I think can make it big this year and sound off in the comments with your own predictions below.

Wildcat Tracks Stars on the Rise

New musicians to bet on in 2013