Updated: PACE van crashes, sending three to hospital

A westbound PACE van crashed into front end loader on Foster Street Monday morning around 6:30am. Three people were transported to the Evanston Hospital.

Courtesy of Fire Chief Greg Klaiber

Jia You, Assistant City Editor

A westbound PACE van collided with a front-end loader around 6:30 a.m. today in the 1100 block of Foster Street.

The three people in the PACE van, including the driver, were transported to Evanston Hospital for treatment, according to an email from Fire Chief Greg Klaiber. The two passengers in the van, both females in their 50s, complained about back pain, said Dwight Hohl, life-safety services division chief.

The PACE van driver was more seriously injured and might have passed out either before or after the crash, Hohl said, adding that the driver did not remember the accident. PACE spokesman Patrick Wilmot said the van driver was not in life-threatening condition and would be discharged within a day.

The driver of the loader was unharmed.

Both Hohl and Wilmot said the cause of the crash was unclear. The crashed PACE van was a paratransit service operated by the PACE contractor SCR, which provides complimentary service to disabled people, Wilmot said.

— Jia You

This post has been updated to reflect additional information and comments from city officials.

About the Writer
Jia You, City Editor

Jia You was the City editor of The Daily. Her other past positions include assistant City editor. She is from Shenzhen, China, and has interned at the...