Northwestern to recognize Martin Luther King Jr. Day as school-wide holiday

Martin Luther King Jr. Day is now an official holiday for the Northwestern community.

Starting Jan. 21, 2013, the University will suspend classes for the day and recognize the holiday annually for all students, faculty and staff, according to a news release.

To celebrate King, NU will continue to host special events, including lectures, film screenings, theater and music performances and service projects throughout the week to remind students and community members of King’s legacy. This year, some key events will be postponed until the following week, starting Jan. 28, according to the release.

“We’re pleased to make this an all-University holiday, while at the same time keeping our tradition of honoring Dr. King and his legacy,” University President Morton Schapiro said in the release. “This way, members of our staff as well as faculty and students can honor Dr. King with their families, but we will still have the events commemorating Dr. King that they are encouraged to attend.”

Because Martin Luther King Jr. Day also falls on the second inauguration of President Barack Obama this year, the University holiday will now allow people to attend the official event in Washington., D.C., or watch it on TV and still memorialize King.

— Paulina Firozi