Off to Jacksonville: Planning your trip to Gator Bowl

So you’re upset Northwestern isn’t going to Orlando or Tampa for its bowl game and instead wound up in Jacksonville. I understand the frustration, but that doesn’t mean you can’t come down and support the Wildcats in the Gator Bowl.

You’re all, for the most part, college students, and even if you’re not, I’m sure you’re worried about sticking to a budget. Lucky for you, I’ve done all the research and picked out some places for you to eat, explore and sleep that won’t cost you a fortune. All of this is based on a trip from Dec. 31 to Jan. 2.

The first thing you must do is get to the game, of course. There are numerous airlines to choose from, but all of them will run you close to $500. As of Wednesday night, the cheapest option from Chicago is AirTran Airways, which is $474 roundtrip with layovers in Atlanta going both ways. United Airlines flights originating from O’Hare start at $574.

Once you figure out the flights, I suggest looking for hotels. There are several to choose from. Depending on how much you want to devote to a hotel, I suggest staying at the Best Western in Jacksonville. For less than $150 for two nights in a room with two queen beds (hint: scroll down to the company’s “2 Nights Stay Promotion”), the hotel has everything you could want. It has complimentary breakfast in the morning, a fitness center and an outdoor swimming pool — as well as a sauna. The rooms look spacious, and you probably won’t be doing much except sleeping in there anyway.

So now you get to Jacksonville in time for New Year’s Eve, and you want to know where you should go to celebrate. Start off your evening by joining all the other purple-clad supporters at the team’s pep rally 5 p.m. at Jacksonville Landing. You get to meet the team, hear from Pat Fitzgerald and sing along with our marching band as they lead the crowd in a rousing rendition of “Go U Northwestern.” After getting yourself pumped up for the game the next day, stay at the Landing and grab some dinner along the St. Johns River. For good, cheap food, go to American Grille where dinner costs between $5 and $15, and you can watch some of the bowl games that will have already kicked off. When you’re nice and full from dinner, head over to Latitude 30 to watch the ball drop. With a bar, live comedy and bowling, the restaurant is almost like an adult’s play land.

Your plans for the next day should be pretty straightforward. The game kicks off at noon local time, and the Northwestern Alumni Association is hosting an official tailgate at a yet to be determined location. After the game, head back to the Landing to watch the Rose Bowl at Chicago Pizza and Sports Grille and cheer on Wisconsin for Big Ten pride.