Blotter: Nov. 27

Ciara McCarthy, Reporter

Women cut with scissors in salon receives 17 stitches

A hair salon in the 700 block of Howard Street became the site of a possible aggravated battery case Wednesday.

A 61-year-old woman was getting her hair done at about 7:30 p.m. when a man unintentionally struck her in the arm with a pair of scissors, Evanston Police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said. The man, who knew the woman, was reportedly swinging the scissors in an attempt to harm another person in the salon when he accidentally struck the woman.

The woman, a Chicago resident, went to Saint Francis Hospital, where she received 17 stitches in her arm. It is undetermined if charges will be filed.

Evanston man arrested in connection with aggravated assault

An Evanston man was arrested and charged with aggravated assault Tuesday.

Two police officers responded to a disturbance call at 4:45 p.m. on Dewey Avenue, where a witness reported observing the man strike another person, Parrott said. Officers engaged the resident, who reportedly made verbal threats toward police and adopted a fighting stance with his fists clenched.

The officers arrested the man because they were faced with the threat of battery toward an on-duty police officer, Parrott said. The man is scheduled to appear in court Dec. 12.

Ciara McCarthy

View Nov. 27 in a larger map

About the Writer
Ciara McCarthy, In Focus Editor
Ciara is a Weinberg senior majoring in American Studies. Her past positions at The Daily include editor in chief, managing editor, city editor and reporter. The Bethesda, Maryland native is also a Brady Scholar in Ethics and Civic Life. She previously interned for Slate and The Marshall Project. You can reach Ciara via Twitter or...