Northwestern ranked in BCS for first time since 2008

Northwestern is ranked 24th in the latest Bowl Championship Series Standings, marking the first time the Wildcats have appeared in the influential poll since 2008.

Four years ago, NU surfaced at No. 23 in the final BCS poll of its season.

The Cats were ranked 21st in the latest USA Today Coaches’ Poll, their highest ranking in the poll since Dec. 7, 2008, when they were ranked 20th. The coaches’ poll makes up one-third of the equation used to calculate the BCS Standings. NU is ranked No. 24 in the latest Harris Interactive Poll, another one-third slice of the equation. The final third consists of six computer polls, in which the Cats have an average ranking of No. 27, only appearing in the top 25 of two polls.

The Big Ten continued its poor showing in the polls, as only two teams were ranked in each this week. In the AP poll, Ohio State is ranked fifth and Nebraska is No. 18, but because the Buckeyes are ineligible for the coaches’ poll, Nebraska moved up to No. 16 and the Cats are No. 21. Only the Cornhuskers and Cats are ranked in the latest BCS Standings, with Nebraska checking in at No. 16.

NU is 7-2 this season but faces a stern test Saturday, when it travels to Ann Arbor to take on Michigan. The Wolverines received the third-most votes of any team not in the top 25 in both the AP and coaches’ polls this week.

— Josh Walfish