Blotter: Nov. 2

Three Evanston youths arrested in connection to retail theft

Three juveniles were arrested Wednesday after police investigators matched the boys to a description of suspects from an earlier retail theft.

At about 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, an employee of Walgreens, 2102 Green Bay Rd., reported to police three boys had just stolen cartons of eggs from the store. The boys also struck the store manager, who was trying to detain one of the juveniles, according to an EPD news release. The victim suffered minor injuries.

Officers who arrived on scene found the group had already fled, but the manager notified officers with a description of suspects and their direction of travel, said EPD spokesman Perry Polinski in the release.

After investigating for two hours, officers on patrol observed three boys matching the suspects’ description in the 1900 block of Darrow Avenue. With assistance from police investigators, the patrol officers stopped the three boys. Store video was used to identify the juveniles, all Evanston residents, and one subject in particular was identified in a line up as the offender that struck the victim in the head.

Two of the three boys were charged as juveniles with retail theft. The third was charged as an adult with robbery, Polinski said in the release.

— Ina Yang

View Nov. 2 in a larger map