Statistical Highlights: Northwestern vs. Nebraska

Formula for failure

Where to begin?

Let’s compare this weekend’s loss to the other NU loss this year, at Penn State. Here are some similarities:

• NU’s defense gave up more than 150 yards rushing, including one rusher who went more than 100 yards.
  • NU allowed the opposing quarterback to have a 69 percent completion rate with no interceptions.
  • Between the two games, NU was outscored 36-7 in the fourth quarter.
  • NU only registered 28 first downs (14 in each game) on offense compared to 56 for is opponents.
  • Junior quarterback Kain Colter was held to fewer than 60 total yards and only two pass attempts combined.
  • No NU receiver had more than 50 yards receiving.

Fourth-quarter flop

While there is still not a noticeable difference between points scored in the fourth quarter (opponents: 116, NU: 106), there is a tremendous difference in yards per play in the fourth quarter of the losses. NU has run only 34 plays for 120 yards, totaling 3.53 yards per play. Meanwhile, Penn State and Nebraska have run a combined 56 plays for 346 yards, averaging 6.18 yards per play.

Siemian struggle

After his more than 300-yard performance against Indiana, redshirt sophomore Trevor Siemian has really struggled in the pocket. His completion percentage in the past three games is 7 points lower than his season rate going into the Penn State game (55 percent to 62 percent). He has regularly missed receivers high and has thrown for fewer than 150 yards the October games. Siemian was also dreadful on third down, completing three of 10 passes with a touchdown and only one first-down conversion. Nebraska’s struggles against the spread offense were well-documented, and why NU didn’t have Colter in the shotgun with junior running back Venric Mark is a complete mystery to us all.

Quick hits:

• In the first five games, the Cats averaged 27.2 first downs per game. Since the Penn State game, their average is now 10.3.
  • The average third down distance for NU was 7.5 yards and Nebraska’s was 7.9 yards.
  • For the third straight week, the Cats have lost the time of possession battle.
  • NU has led in every game going into the fourth quarter except one (against Vanderbilt).
  • After giving up only 291 total rushing yards in its first four games, NU has now surrendered 630 total rushing yards on the ground since.

— John Paschall