Organic Chemistry: Matt & Melina

For the first installment of Organic Chemistry, The Current paired up Communication freshman Matt LaFond and Weinberg sophomore Melina Yeh, setting them up on a blind date.

Melina: We went to the Unicorn Cafe for our date. We went at 7 p.m. and more or less stayed until closing time.

Matt: The date was a lot of fun and it was really just a cool experience to have.
Melina: I think it went pretty well. No awkward moments, at least there were only a few of them and those only lasted maybe one or two seconds. We actually had a lot to talk about, at least I think we did. We ended up having a lot in common. That was pretty nice.

Matt: We talked a lot about school and the classes we were taking and then we segued into talking more about our interests and the types of food, movies and books that we liked.
Melina: We mostly talked about movies and food. We especially talked about bad horror movies and ethnic foods that we liked. I talked about some restaurants he should try out around Evanston since he’s a freshman and isn’t entirely familiar with the place.

Matt: She was very funny and was a really good conversationalist. I learned a lot about her interests and her likes and dislikes.
Melina: He was pretty nice and easygoing and very unpretentious — I like that in a guy. He really liked “Harry Potter” — I love that in a guy. He’s RTVF right now, but I believe he’s switching to political science.

Matt: We both liked almost the exact same movies and books and are very open to trying new things.
Melina: We had similar tastes in food and movies. We’re both willing to try out new things.

Matt: I would be interested in spending more time with her and finding out how much more we have in common.
Melina: I would be interested in going out with him again. I think we got along pretty well, though there weren’t necessarily any major sparks flying.

Matt: I definitely would be open to going on another blind date; it was really a fun and interesting experience.
Melina: This was my first blind date that I’ve ever gone on, and it went much better than I expected. It wasn’t at all how I had imagined it would be based on my limited knowledge from movies and TV.

If you would like to go on a blind date for Organic Chemistry, send an email to [email protected].

Organic Chemistry: Matt & Melina