‘Survivor’ host speaks to Medill Cherubs

From the jungle to the studio, Survivor host Jeff Probst will be making his daytime debut on his new venture, The Jeff Probst Show. The TV personality discussed his plans for the new show and his status on Survivor during a press conference with high school students from the Medill – Northwestern Journalism Institute.

As the star enters his 13th year of Survivor, Probst said he is excited to start “a new adventure in life” but plans to continue to host the reality TV show as well.

“I never thought I’d do a talk show. But I’ve learned to say yes in life. Now I’m starting a new chapter in my life and I’m very excited,” Probst said.

Probst said he began talking with his show’s executive producer, Amy Coleman, last summer with the premise of exploring different types of relationships within society, as well as featuring a few celebrities.

“The show will feature different relationships and how people can relate,” Probst said. “Whether it’s a couple facing a divorce or advice from a single mom, the audience can relate and that’s the goal here.”

While Probst is an expert in the reality TV world, he admitted he’s not as experienced in daytime television.

“It was my own naive idea,” Probst said, “but I’ve learned to say yes more in life. It was actually Coleman that was the lynchpin for moving forward with the project.”

Coleman, who previously worked as supervising producer for The Oprah Winfrey Show, collaborated with Probst to establish the show’s foundations and shoot the pilot episode.

As for his future plans for Survivor, Probst said he would shoot the reality show in the summer and his daytime TV show during the rest of the year.

Despite the new workload, the television host isn’t worried. His wife, Lisa Ann Russell, will contribute to the new talk show, providing the Probst with the opportunity to spend more time with his wife.

“I live by the phrase ‘the busier you are, the more you’ve done,'” Probst said. “It’s all about managing time. Survivor takes me away from home four months out of the year. Having Lisa with me will bring us closer.”

As Probst gears up for his new show this fall, the reality TV icon shared a few inside tips about the upcoming seasons of Survivor.

“Season 26 is probably the best season we’ve done. I say that every year, but I mean it this time,” Probst said.

When asked how well he would compete if he were on Survivor, the host was humble.

“I don’t know if I would win, but I think I’d go pretty far,” Probst said. “It’s really all about getting along with the fellow players. It’s easy to tell who will lose. You must assess and adapt to situations in order to survive.”

As the Sept. 10 debut nears, The Jeff Probst Show remains a testament to Probst’s search for adventure.

“Just go for things in life,” Probst said. “Say yes to love, success, chances, or whatever else you want! Life can be kick-ass if you want it to be.”