Residents find ways to fight the heat during parade

Sooky DiGregorio, 37, was one of many people who enjoyed a good soaking at the hottest Fourth of July parade in Evanston history Wednesday.

She and a friend got cooled off by her 3-year-old son, Trey, at the Evanston Fire and Life Safety Services’ cooling station. The fire department set up water spouts to cool off crowds along the Cebtral Street parade route on the hottest Fourth of July in 101 years.

“This is a fantastic idea,” DiGregorio said as she wiped water out of her eyes. “This is where a lot of kids congregate, but I’ve seen adults enjoy it, too.”

The spouts, fed by fire hydrants, were used at the parade for the first time this year. They were rigged up in response to temperatures that triggered heat warnings.

By Wednesday morning, a weather alert warned of temperatures in the high 90s to low 100s. Evanston residents were advised to stay indoors to avoid dehydration and other illnesses. Despite the warning, the parade rolled on.

To combat heat-related problems, the city first planned on cooling the crowds with fans alone. Craig Brannan, a 43-year-old fire apparatus operator, suggested the use of fire hydrants.

“It’s much more effective than just moving air,” Brannan said as he watched a coworker spray smiling children with a hose. “It has definitely been a success.”

Parade goers stood under the streams to enjoy the cool mist or drank from smaller fountains hooked up top hydrants. They screamed and laughed as their hair and clothes got soaked. It was difficult to avoid getting misted, so many embraced the relief that the water provided from the heat.

Although DiGregorio’s son was splashing her with water, she did not leave the cooling station.

“He loves it,” she says, gesturing to Trey. “He’s been here for an hour.”

She said she has attended the parade for about 30 years and, despite the heat, this year’s parade did not disappoint.