Evanston Community Foundation appoints four new members to board

The Evanston Community Foundation, a philanthropic organization that allots grants for improving the city, appointed four new members to its board of directors.

The appointees are Bill Blanchard, Naomi Lovinger, Eric Robison and Sandra Shelton, all longtime Evanston residents involved in a variety of community programs and organizations. The four were chosen out of about eight candidates because they embody expertise that is valuable to the foundation’s grant-making and business support agenda, ECF president Sara Schastok said.

“We’re trying to think about our foundation board, the initiatives that we’re involved in and the topics we need expertise on whether it’s community issues such as environmental or youth or health related things on the one hand or functions of the foundation to be an effective, high-performing nonprofit,” Schastok said. “We need people with legal expertise and fund development expertise, knowledge of accounting.”

ECF’s four new board members come from a variety of backgrounds in environmental sustainability, youth outreach and finance.

Blanchard, who is married to Ald. Jane Grover (7th), was co-president of the Evanston Baseball and Softball Association, and has worked on transforming the Evanston Recycling Center into an indoor sports facility, according to a news release. Schastok said ECF wants to utilize Blanchard’s experience with youth sports to engage local children in healthy activities.

Lovinger gained experience in economic development through her work with British development agencies. Her additional expertise in environmental sustainability is derived from her role as head of communications for wind turbine manufacturer Nordex USA, according to the release.

Robison had a long career in finance, engaging in corporate lending, asset-based lending and leveraged lending, according to the release. He grew up in

Evanston and had returned to live in the city for the past 25 years.

Shelton, a professor of accounting at DePaul University, is also a certified public accountant. Her work with service organizations in Evanston includes sitting on the board of the Second Baptist Church, McGaw YMCA, Community Economic Development Corporation of Cook County and Evanston Blue Ribbon Committee, according to the release.

– Susan Du