Women’s Golf: New mindset helps Brown find focus

Devon Brown knows it’s all about the mindset.

As the sophomore prepares to step onto the green with Northwestern at the 2012 NCAA East Regional Championships on Thursday, she isn’t nervous at all.

“I get to the first hole and it turns into adrenaline, and I don’t look back,” she said.

Brown has been working with a sports psychologist recently to practice techniques to prepare a strong mind to go with a strong golf game. Techniques such as visualization help her keep the bad shots under control, she said. Combined with practices on the green, Brown said she feels more prepared than ever to compete in this year’s regionals.

The sophomore has struggled in the spring portion of the season, finishing in the top-20 only once this spring. She started off the season well with consecutive top-10 finishes and a tie for 11th in her third event of the season.

Brown is one of three returning members of the squad who also competed in last year’s regional competition. Freshmen Hana Lee and Brittany Mai will compete in their first championships in State College, Pa., and Brown said the additions make the team stronger than last year’s squad.

“I definitely think we have more of a chance,” she said. “We were so close last year.”

Coach Emily Fletcher said she is confident Brown will be able to play well this weekend and added Brown will need to be a key contributor for NU to advance out of the regional.