Clothes lines:Concrete catwalk

Gertrude Stein regarded the soldiers of World War I as “The Lost Generation” grown cynical with the excesses and fatal romanticism of an international conflict. This term was also applied to a collection of American writers: aimless, disillusioned intellectuals who often resorted to drinking and exile in condemnation of wartime materialism. The Roaring Twenties witnessed the rise of the flapper, a “new woman” flouting traditional social constraints by donning short skirts and bobbing her hair. In a continuation of this spirit of rebellion, the youth of the 1960s engaged in a counterculture to overtly contest the conformity of their parents’ era. Throughout America’s history, young people have sought to separate from their predecessors, to distinguish themselves from congruous, staid society. Each generation has sought to leave a lasting, if indelible, contribution, and fashion categorically emerges as a popular way to leave a mark. Beatniks, hippies and hipsters: whatever their cause and whatever you call them, their message is their style. When you occupy Wall Street or, more generally, exercise your First Amendment rights, it’s advisable to dress to reflect your protest. No telltale symbols of corporate allegiance (put away the Brooks Brothers and Zegna). And no conspicuous one percent labels or insignias-unless you’re Rick Lee, the Burberry-clad, self-proclaimed “Gentleman Police Officer” of Zuccotti Park. It’s fine to look like the clean-cut, vaguely preppy college student you are, but a slightly grungier aesthetic and thrifted garments will likely sit well with your fellow demonstrators. Just be careful you don’t take it too far: More extreme looks, like the bad-lady trend perfected by a younger Mary-Kate Olsen, can look like a mean-spirited parody. In other words, don’t wear it if you don’t mean it. On a more pragmatic note, you’re going to be outside packed into a space as tightly as Scarlett Johansson in a lacy Dolce and Gabbana gown. Rely on utilitarian fabrics and cuts to combat the elements: march in windproof and waterproof textiles, and chant anti-war slogans in a broken-up Canadian tuxedo. Or think Ralph Lauren circa 1980, if you prefer. The army jacket, a protest staple, is so frequently reinvented in avant-garde shapes you certainly won’t be mistaken for a veteran. Sturdy, flat footwear, like Doc Martens boots, is a must (the better to run away from cops in, my dear). Accoutrements like fingerless gloves, a knitted hat or thermal undergarments sourced from Uniqlo might also be useful during a wintery peaceful assembly. Warmth and comfort are still priorities, even when you’re sticking it to the man. As a Northwestern student, I don’t need to remind you why the time for activism, on- and off-campus, is now. Fashion is my free speech of choice, and it’s our turn to shout. With an artfully scrawled sign in hand and the gleam of youthful idealism in our precisely lined eyes (no smudgy kohl allowed even when we’re battling injustice), let’s go out into the world and change it.