Blotter: May 3

Juvenile arrested in connection with attempted robbery

Evanston police charged a Chicago juvenile with attempted robbery Monday, according to an EPD news release.

The boy allegedly demanded car keys from an 80-year-old Evanston woman after she parked her car in the 200 block of Ridge Avenue. When the woman refused to give up her keys, the 15-year-old blocked her from walking away. She then yelled for help, and the boy fled on foot.

Police located the boy in the 400 block of Asbury Avenue, and the Evanston resident identified him. Police also learned the boy had an outstanding warrant for possession of a stolen vehicle.

The boy was taken into custody and transported to the Cook County Juvenile Detention Center.

Chicago man charged with robbery

Evanston police arrested a Chicago resident in connection with robbery Tuesday, according to an EPD news release.

The 24-year-old allegedly grabbed money and lottery papers from a 65-year-old Chicago woman when she was sitting on a bench and putting some cash in her purse near the intersection of Custer Avenue and Howard Street. He then fled on foot.

Detectives located Jason O. Pinnock in an alley in the 900 block of Howard Street. The Evanston woman identified him, and footage from a nearby police video surveillance camera showed him remove items from the woman. The footage also showed Pinnock discarding some items onto the ground, which were later identified as the lottery papers.

Pinnock made an admission to detectives in committing the robbery and said he needed money to pay his cell phone bill, according to the release.

Jia You

View May 3 in a larger map