Softball: Freshman is no Duehr in the headlights

Athletes often use freshman year to mesh with the team, learn the ways of college athletics and develop their skills before playing a prominent role on the team.

Northwestern’s freshmen, however, have done anything but warm the bench. The first year players make up nearly one third of the roster, including two of the eight starting field players and one of the three starting pitchers.

The six freshmen are joined by seven sophomores to greatly outnumber the combined six juniors and seniors. With such a young team, coach Kate Drohan has had to shift her teaching methods slightly.

“With youth you just need to be a little bit more specific,” she said, “but they’re bright and they learn very quickly. Each of the freshmen has stepped up in their own way and have literally won ballgames for us.”

Freshman outfielder Olivia Duehr has played a big role on the team already. The Antioch, Ill., native has started 30 of the team’s 32 games, compiling a .250 batting average. Her 25 RBIs and 5 homeruns are both third-best on the team.

Before coming to NU, Duehr attended softball camps on campus and got to know some of the coaches, Drohan said.

“It’s been really fun to watch her develop her skill set and to see her grow up,” Drohan said. “She is a tireless worker, and she’s got an amazing motor and she goes at one speed all the time. She provides a lot of energy and enthusiasm for our program.”

First baseman Adrienne Monka said she is also impressed with Duehr’s quick transition to college softball.

“She is probably one of the most competitive and hardworking people that I know,” Monka said. “I didn’t really have to do much to teach her the ways. She loves Northwestern, she loves to work hard, she loves to win so she’s a really great teammate.”

With the mass of underclassmen, the leadership of the team’s two seniors has become even more vital.

Monka, a senior who has started every game for the Wildcats since her freshman year in 2009, is trying to pay forward the lessons she has learned throughout her four years at NU.

“I’m just trying to keep teaching the Northwestern tradition and the things that my upperclassmen taught me and things about the culture of the program and the hard work and discipline it takes to be successful,” she said.

The freshmen will have to step up again Wednesday when the Wildcats head to South Bend, Ind., to take on Notre Dame.

The Fighting Irish (17-10, 3-0 Big East) are second in the Big East and have won six straight games. They sit at No. 43 in the Rating Percentage Index rankings, five spots ahead of NU (14-18, 2-4 Big Ten).

“It’s always fun to play them,” Drohan said. “We’re focusing on being fundamentally sound and not giving them any extra outs. That means making the routine play and really respecting the game and working hard in the moment.”