Letter to the editor: Female political voices welcome

The Northwestern Political Union read the March 30 article “New Student Group to Promote Women in Politics” with interest.

We are proud that Political Union leaders have created a new space on campus for inclusive political discussion and we are excited to stay involved as a co-sponsor of the Women’s Caucus.

We are writing to formally invite the Women’s Caucus, and every woman on campus, to come out this quarter to the Political Union, the oldest political debate society at NU.

Modeled on the Oxford Union and Yale Political Union, we host weekly debates between speakers and undergraduates on the most important issues of our day.

Women’s voices are integral to the high level of political discourse and civility that typifies our discussions.

In addition, strong female leadership is crucial to our continued effort of attracting the brightest minds within the NU community. Our programming has sponsored debates with Martha Nussbaum, Sandra Wheeler, and Cara Tuttle Bell.

We hope that women interested in the Women’s Caucus and its goal of raising female participation in politics will also attend the Political Union this spring.

We structure our time so that undergraduates have the chance to engage directly with the most important intellectuals and public servants of our generation.

Among numerous events planned for this quarter, we will debate the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act with two world-renowned legal scholars, Martin Redish and Stephen Presser. We hope every interested student can attend.

Inclusive political discussion is crucial to healthy deliberation on policy issues in our democracy.

At the university level, it also broadens world views, increases tolerance and understanding, builds friendships and develops communication skills in future leaders.

The Political Union serves as that forum at NU, and we invite every interested woman to take part in the vibrant conversations we hold every week.

Our events take place on Mondays at 7:30pm at the Buffett Center, 1902 Sheridan Road. Please send an email to [email protected] for more information or to get involved.

Thank you and we look forward to seeing you!