Shorter Reading Period not unusual, Weinberg dean says

The Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences Reading Periodwill be four days shorter this quarter than it was in Fall Quarter. However, in an email to The Daily, Associate Provost Ronald Braeutigam said this is not unusual.

Weinberg’s Undergraduate Advising website defines Reading Period as a time established between when Weinberg classes for the term end and final examinations begin, when students can prepare for their finals by reviewing a quarter of materials without stress of new assignments. During this time, students are not meant to be required to turn in any assignments or take any final examinations.

Weinberg senior Ariel Stein said she doesn’t really notice the shorter time period because she is taking non-Weinberg classes, so she will have finals during Reading Period anyway.

Some students, however, feel this may not be enough time.

“Kid’s don’t do their stuff until half through reading week anyway,” Weinberg senior Camille Provencal-Dayle said.

She said with the decreased amount of time available, students may not have enough time to study and prepare for their exams.

“Grades are going to drop,” she said.

Braeutigam said in the email that Reading Period cannot start until nine full weeks of classes have been completed. Sometimes, as during Fall Quarter 2011, the calendar allows for a full week of Reading Period, which is often referred to as “Reading Week” even though a full week is not promised. A shortened Reading Period is common and is determined on a quarter-by-quarter basis. Reading Periodfor Spring Quarter has been set to begin on Tuesday, May 29 and final exams are scheduled to begin on Monday, June 4, allowing for a Reading Period closer to a full week.

Weinberg’s Associate Dean for Undergraduate Academic Affair, Mary Finn said in an email to The Daily there is no truth to recent rumors that Reading Period will be discontinued next year due to the pushed back calendar. She also wrote that Saturday and Sunday are included when scheduling the five-day Reading Period, which often makes students believe the period is shorter.

Stein said she thinks the elimination of Reading Period would be detrimental to students,, a sentiment other students echoed.

“Even with Reading Week, I’m pulling all-nighters,” Provencal-Dayle said. “So I can’t imagine not having it.”