Style Column: How to dress to impress with formal wear

Red carpet season is over, with the Oscars marking the end of weeks of dress discussions. It’s one of the last black-tie events that people observe, and that commentary can be useful for how to dress for ultra-formal occasions. Although black-tie events are becoming more and more rare, in the event that you get an exclusive invite in the mail someday, investing in versatile formal wear that can be dressed up and dressed down will do you more good than a “wear it once” ball gown.

Accessorizing is probably the easiest way to alter your look for different dress codes. If your dress is more formal and you need something to wear for an occasion that’s not so stuffy, offset the sophistication with costume jewelry. Cocktail rings and striking earrings in fun shapes and colors will dress down your look. Shoes in fun colors and more casual textures like suede will help dress down an outfit, too. If you have a dress that might be a little too casual, dress it up with neutral-colored shoes in a dressy fabric like patent leather or satin, keep jewelry minimal and classy and opt for a wrap or very dressy jacket instead of a blazer or cardigan.

Color can also make or break a formal outfit. Black will always be in style and can always be formal, but if you’re sick of playing it safe, primary colors and white are more exciting ways to appear elegant. It’s easier to make a color casual, but keep in mind that black does go with everything. If you have to make a choice and you’re not sure if a color can succeed on both ends of the formal spectrum, go with black because it can always go with a jean jacket or a cashmere wrap.

Length is another obvious way to observe the dress code. As of late, there are fewer rules regarding length. If you’re obligated to make a choice for formal wear, short is probably the most economical option. But a long dress in a timeless style and color with few embellishments can be worn with flats or heels and can transcend seasons and dress codes in an unexpected way. Also, don’t forget about pants options for formal wear. These can end up being much less stressful than a dress.

Men have fewer options, but in the suit versus tux debate, go suit. There are a lot of color and fabric options to choose from, as well as interesting patterns and lapels. Mixing and matching jacket to pants with patterned shirts, no tie and casual shoes can dress down a suit. Wearing a suit with a plain shirt and subtle tie in a traditional color combination will always dress up a suit. If you get that black-tie invitation, though, you can always rent a tux – and you definitely should.

Dress codes are more or less nonexistent today, but knowing how to follow one is important. And remember, it’s always better to be overdressed than underdressed; you never know who you’ll see!