This week we’re obsessed with the ‘Glee’ winter finale

An episode of “Glee” is usually like a really boring car crash. Except this time, you’re watching because there’s a group of cute, über-talented dancing monkeys strapped to the hood. Spoiler alert, the latest episode and winter finale was all that and an actual car crash, caused by texting. Did I mention the episode also had a teen suicide attempt caused by cyber-bullying? Which sparked a hasty teen marriage.

It really makes you think, “What the heck is wrong with teenagers lately?”

Before any Gleeks protest my criticism, I have to admit I am actually a fan. For better or for worse, I have seen every episode since the first season premiere. So let’s get down to dissecting this literal and figurative car crash. Dancing monkeys included.

The Attempted Suicide: In the past, “Glee” writers have done a great job addressing the issues of bullying and homosexuality. While the episode’s attempted suicide was handled appropriately with sensitivity, evenhandedness and a beautiful scene between Kurt and Dave Karofsky, the pace felt a bit rushed. The suddenness of the situation was reasonable given Karofsky’s past impulsiveness and the escalation of cyber-bullying. But the attempted suicide warranted more than a one-minute discussion with the God Squad. Regardless, it was better executed than some of the other episode cliffhangers.

The Car Crash: I’ve tried to justify these bizarre plot turns with “Glee’s” bipolar scenes both satirizing high school life while also trying to bring light to teen issues. It does both of these things relatively well, but anything that happens in between tends to hurt my brain. The car crash definitely amped up the tension for the Hudson-Berry marriage. Does Finn actually mean ‘now or never?’ But the lack of subtlety in the crash-by-texting incident spoiled its use as a plot device. And does the message get any clearer with 20 more close-ups of the buzzing phone? This “Glee” director thought so.

Regionals: When plotlines fail and I want to throw things at Finn’s caveman scowl, only the music can appease me. I’ve forgiven “Glee” at every turn of these ridiculous plots, because of their iTunes-topping, fantastically catchy renditions of Top 40’s hits. The Regionals performances did not disappoint. The Warblers more than made up for the Vocal Adrenaline absence with their upgraded dance moves and a fantastic performance of “Glad You Came.” It never makes sense how a team wins with a panel of completely incompetent judges, but for all my bashing and all of the pain it gives me to watch Matthew Morrison’s (Will) failed attempts to develop his character through tears and misplaced outbursts of anger, “Glee” has me hooked.

Beyond the music, I can’t even justify my commitment. It’s like crack. And this finale was an overdose. But after I recover and finally come to terms with the myriad plot lines, I’ll be back for Nationals.

Colleen Park