Evanston “blacklist” contains few actual violations, realtor group says

Most of the student-occupied houses cited on a public list of properties “under investigation” for breaking city codes contain few or no violations, according to a report issued Thursday by the North Shore Barrington Association of Realtors.

“It’s hard to believe that a city of this size in this supposed sophistication would do something like this – but believe it or not, they have,” said Howard Handler, who represents NSBAR in the Illinois Association of Realtors.

The list was released by the city Oct. 4 and included an index of 52 properties being investigated for Evanston building code violations, including over-occupancy laws. It displayed exact addresses, building types and management contracts.

The Northwestern Division of Student Affairs had posted the list on its website in October but took it down Thursday hours after the report was released. The city website had previously removed the list as well.

Tony Kirchmeier, NU’s director of off-campus life, said officials were updating the student affairs website when they determined the list was no longer current.

“We have ongoing conversations with landlords and city officials,” Kirchmeier said. “We’re trying to work with everyone for the best outcome for our Northwestern students and make sure we provide the best information available to everyone.”

NSBAR, a private property advocacy group, conducted the investigation by submitting Freedom of Information Act requests to the city, asking for inspection reports from properties on the list, Handler said.

He said the city created a “blacklist” that dissuaded tenants from renting from the landlords whose properties were cited.

“When you take a group of really select properties that all happen to be close to Northwestern University and tell people you should not rent from these properties, I think that’s the definition of a boycott,” Handler said.

The city’s department of community and economic development as well as its law department declined to comment Monday, said city spokesman Eric Palmer.

Handler said he submitted the FOIA request immediately after the city released the list in October. By examining the content of the inspection reports written by city inspectors, he “deduced what any rational person reading the notes would deduce,” he said, and wrote the report.

Handler likened the city’s list to sentencing a criminal before a trial, because landlords were never notified their properties would be publicly admonished.

“It’s akin to the police just issuing random reports saying, ‘We think this person does this and we think this person steals bicycles…but we’re never going to investigate them,'” Handler said.

Nancy Gabriel, who oversees the management of more than 250 properties in Evanston, said the NSBAR findings illustrate what landlords knew when the city released its list: The cited properties lack outstanding safety code violations.

The list has also deterred tenants from renting out her properties, Gabriel said.

“We actually had four groups look at properties to rent, and they pulled out because of that list,” she said. “We have vacancies at a time when we never have vacancies.”

Ultimately, Handler said the report demonstrates a need for the city to review its internal policies and procedures.

“I’m hoping the report will shine the light on a lot,” Handler said. ” I hope they never issue a list like this again.”