Style Column: Working spring runway trends your way

Fall fashion week is over, and as models and show-goers are rubbing their feet and swearing off heels, it’s time to think about new trends. But before we start planning our fall wardrobes, looking back at September’s spring/summer shows will help inspire looks for the coming season. Taking an outfit straight from the runway might not be feasible, but it’s not hard to make spring’s trends wearable in your own way.

One trend for spring is decade throwbacks. The 20s, 50s, 70s and 80s all saw runway revivals. To make an outfit instead of a costume, pick one “decade” piece and finish the rest of your outfit with “modern” items. If you opt for a Betty Draper-style A-line dress, leave the headscarf, cat eye sunglasses and saddle shoes at home. Make it current with a textured cardigan or non-traditional jean jacket and gladiator sandals.

The next trend is all-over bright colors and patterns. Runways showed head-to-toe patterns that were tropical to pixilated, and colors like “Pepto Pink” as New York Magazine called it. If you don’t want to go all out, try one (or both) of these in a more subdued manner. Restrict the trend to one item, but maybe invest in a piece that you’d usually shy away from – and remember, neon is more versatile than you may think. Go for a cardigan that screams pattern, or a bold, bright dress that makes a statement. Then style the rest of your outfit so the piece stands out.

Textures like lace, sparkles and pleats have been updated for spring. Lace jumpsuits and trapeze dresses were just two ways the feminine fabric was seen on runways. Keep an eye out for knife pleats in bright colors and sheer fabrics on skirts of all different lengths. The versatility and pervasiveness of these textures make them easy to find and wear. Mix these up and wear sparkles for day or a bright, pleated maxi with just a simple t-shirt for evening. Have fun with textures, but don’t wear too many at once!

Cropped tops and short shorts also made a comeback, but separately. To style the crop top for every day, go for longer ones that hang cropped but keep you covered. You can also play with layering. If it’s more comfortable, wear a crop top with a tank underneath, or layer a buttoned blazer or grandpa cardigan over one for coverage.

Hot pants are a tricky trend. Despite the warmer weather, wear these with tights to stay appropriate. Tights can add interest and versatility to an outfit during any season with different colors, thicknesses and patterns while keeping you covered.

You might find you already have clothes that follow some of these new trends. There’s no need to drain your savings in an effort to recapture runway looks. Pair old clothes with new ones and incorporate these trends into any season. You can even wear two or more trends at once.