That’s My Jam with Seth Garben

Perhaps when you think of a playwright, you see a bard-like old man with scraggly white hair and a quill pen – someone who has ample spare time to sip wine and ponder the world. Well, Seth Garben would defy your expectations. One of Northwestern’s very own playwrights, Garben is not only young and spry but also exceedingly busy. His play “The Butterfly of Constantinople” premiered last weekend at NU’s Struble Theatre, and another of his works, “The Good Dog,” will be performed in Shanley Pavilion this weekend. Yet another one of his pieces is under review for the prestigious National Playwrights Conference at the Eugene O’Neill Theater Center in Connecticut, and Garben is also filming the second episode of his Web series, “Donny and Carl Have a Super-Duper Good Time and Friends.” Then there’s the search for summer internships and, oh yes, school. Somehow, the Communication junior found time to email The Current about good songs to wake up to, Disney Channel movies, and of course, plays.

Excerpts:

The Current: If you had to wake up to one song every day, what song would it be?

Seth Garben: “Superfast Jellyfish” by Gorillaz

The Current: So we know that you like plays, but what about musicals – do you have a favorite?

SG: “Jesus Christ Superstar.”

The Current: It was rumored that Adele was going to take a four- or five-year break. Would you have been heartbroken if it was true?

SG: I’m the reason she’s taking the break. We need to work on our relationship.

The Current: You are looking for an internship with Adult Swim – what’s your favorite show on their channel?

SG: “Aqua Unit Patrol Squad 1.”

The Current: What is your favorite Disney Channel oldie-but-goodie?

SG: Never watched the Disney Channel (against my religion), but I was always a huge fan of Hercules. That’s the Gospel Truth.

The Current: In your opinion, what is the best play turned movie?

SG: “The Homecoming” by Harold Pinter. Bar none.

The Current: Team Edward or Team Jacob?

SG: I don’t understand the question, and I won’t respond.

See Seth Garben’s play “The Good Dog” in Shanley Pavilion on Feb. 23 at 11 p.m., or Feb. 24 and Feb. 25 at 8 p.m. and 11 p.m.

Mary McGrath

That’s My Jam with Seth Garben