Northwestern’s Relay for Life holds benefit concert

Northwestern’s Relay for Life organization hosted its second Benefit Concert on Sunday to raise money for participating teams, drawing about 80 people and raising $347, event co-chair Jenna Kastan said.

Held in McCormick Auditorium, the concert featured seven acts: Boomshaka, Harmony in Spirit, a comedy forum, Asterik, Significant Others, TONIK Tap and Extreme Measures. Audience members received free Andy’s Frozen Custard at intermission. The majority of the attendees said they enjoyed the concert.

“We are really excited, and this is a great way to kick off Relay for Life,” said Weinberg sophomore Kristin Palarz, Relay’s entertainment co-chair.

A majority of the audience included representatives from different NU Relay teams participating in the Relay for Life event May 4 and 5. Delta Zeta won the total amount of money from ticket sales for being the team with the most members present at the concert, Palarz said.

According to the NU Relay for Life website, there are 37 teams and 146 individuals participating in NU’s organization. So far, the teams and the Relay committee have raised $1,775.

Kastan, a Weinberg senior, said she was excited for this year’s performances because they were a balance of dance, a capella and comedy.

“In college it’s easy to get stuck in the bubble of college life,” Kastan said. “It’s important to get involved in other organizations, especially with our extra time to give to others and do good.”

Kastan also said the Benefit Concert is not the only way for individual teams to raise money to participate in Relay. She said, for example, the Relay committee recently hosted a bake sale and sold hot chocolate. Individual teams raise money on personal and team levels throughout the year as well, she said.

McCormick sophomore Rachel Scholes and Weinberg sophomore Nora Richter, members of the Relay team “Cancer Can’t Touch This,” said they attended the concert in support of their team. They both said they joined because Relay for Life is a “great cause.”

“My aunt passed away from cancer, so I thought I would join Relay,” Scholes said. “I have a really good friend who encouraged me to join.”

Communication freshman Sally Lindel, the captain of 1835 Hinman’s Relay team and a member of the Relay publicity committee, also attended the concert. She said Relay is her way of raising cancer awareness and showing her passion for the cause.

“It would be nice if my team won tonight’s funds,” Lindel said. “But really I am here to support Relay.”