University official warns former Lodge brothers to stop functioning as fraternity

A University official sent an email Friday to former members of Northwestern’s chapter of Chi Psi warning them to stop “functioning as a fraternal organization” or risk University and National Chi Psi sanction.

Jim Neumeister, assistant dean of students and director of student conduct and conflict resolution, wrote in the email that he has received information that the former Chi Psi members, now considered alumni of the chapter, have continued to put former pledges through a new member process which could be considered hazing.

“This includes: having new members spend the night at the chapter house; asking them to do chores and tasks for former active members; providing them alcohol at events; and having them undergo various education programs or activities,” Neumeister wrote. “These activities – as well as any other activities of an organized or fraternal nature – must cease immediately.”

Neumeister declined to comment on the letter, saying it is against policy to confirm or deny its existence.

National Chi Psi closed Northwestern’s chapter, known on campus as “Lodge,” Feb. 7. Former members still live in the house pending negotiations with the University about when they will have to vacate.

According to the letter, former members are prohibited from wearing their letters and assembling as a group using the names Chi Psi or Lodge. Moreover, they may not join or create other campus groups “en masse,” Neumeister wrote.

Brad Beskin, Chi Psi’s assistant executive director, and Dominic Greene, director of fraternity and sorority life at NU, were copied on the email. Beskin told The Daily on Friday that if the former members violate the provisions of the email, they will be expelled from Chi Psi and no longer be considered alumni of the fraternity.

“If there is inappropriate activity going on … we would take action against those men by removing them from the organization,” Beskin said.

Beskin could not be reached for further comment because he is traveling.

In the email, Neumeister cited the University hazing policy’s provision that students cannot “falsely lead” others to believe they will be admitted into an organization.

“Since you all are prohibited from engaging in any fraternal activities as a group,” he wrote, “we would consider it an act of hazing to continue any pledge process or to initiate or induct any individuals into some group (whether recognized or not by the university).”

The Northwestern University Student Handbook states the dean of students and Office of Judicial Affairs would handle any reports of hazing. Moreover, consent by recipients of hazing does not excuse such conduct.

“Acceptance of an activity on the part of a new member or individual does not justify participation in or sponsorship of the activity,” according to the policy.

McCormick junior Patrick Schnettler, president of the Interfraternity Council, declined to comment. Former Chi Psi president Mazdak Bradberry, a Weinberg junior, could not be reached for comment.

The former Chi Psi member who forwarded the letter to The Daily – and spoke on condition of anonymity – wrote in a subsequent email that members of the disbanded chapter will meet with the University to discuss the letter’s implications and potential outcomes.

Full text of the University email is available at dailynorthwestern.com.

See the letter below:

Chi Psi Former Affiliates Letter