Food Column: Use fruit to spice up your homemade pizza

Unlike sausage and pepperoni or tomato sauce and cheese, fruit and pizza are two things that aren’t often associated. Aside from the ubiquitous Hawaiian pizza, most seem content to keep their lemons and Lou Malnati’s far apart. It’s easy to fall into a routine, plain-cheese order from one of the endless array of Evanston pizzerias during a late night of studying or after a long night out. But there are times when lemons and pizza do belong together, and there are times when you may want to step out of your culinary comfort zone and impress dinner guests with a surprising combination of flavors you cooked up yourself.

This recipe is for those looking to push back the pizza hour, resist the Papa John’s speed-dial and entertain on a budget. It features an interesting combination of Meyer lemons and goat cheese that’s different yet delicious. In just 30 minutes and with minimal spending, you can have a flavorful gourmet creation to brag about and share with friends, whether you’re hosting a dinner get-together or impressing a date.

Meyer lemons, currently in season, are dark yellow in color and have a flavor that’s distinctly sweeter and more mild than a normal lemon. The slightly acidic bite of the citrus blends harmoniously with the ultra-creamy and mild goat cheese, creating an unexpected yet perfectly balanced burst of flavors accentuated by red onion and chives. The crust, so often an afterthought in delivery pizza, takes center stage with its light, crunchy cornmeal layer and notably rich flavor in the absence of tomato sauce.

Start by rolling out your dough of choice (I highly recommend Whole Foods’ $3 pre-made dough) in a mixture of cornmeal and flour. Lay the dough in the pan and brush on a light layer of olive oil before baking at 500 degrees for four minutes or until light golden brown. Next, crumble goat cheese over the crust, leaving a border around the edges. Top evenly with red onion, lemons sliced into rings and crumbled fried bacon, if desired. Bake at 500 degrees for 10 to 14 minutes and top with freshly chopped chives.

Customize this flavorful and fancy pizza with a sprinkle of bacon for the meat-lovers, or swap out goat cheese for a slightly less-strong blend of Fontina and Parmigiano-Reggiano, topped with rosemary and thyme. Just add the cheeses, herbs and other toppings before baking for 20 minutes or until the crust is light golden brown.

When it’s all said and done, you’ll wonder why you ever settled for Giordano’s at 11 p.m. How else can you fill your apartment with delicious aromas that remind you of home while impressing your guests with a unique, deceptively easy homemade meal?