Evanston mayor to give annual State of the City Address

Evanston Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl will deliver her third annual State of the City Address on March 2.

The event, sponsored by the Evanston Chamber of Commerce and NorthShore University HealthSystem, will take place from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Hilton Orrington Evanston, 1710 Orrington Ave. Tisdahl will also present awards honoring contributions to the city’s art community and economy.

At last year’s State of the City Address, Tisdahl delivered a roughly 20-minute speech that focused on alleviating economic pressures, devoting more attention to violent crime and bolstering communication efforts through new programs.

In the speech, the mayor maintained Evanston would buck the trend of bankruptcy that a New York Times article said could plague many small cities. A balanced budget and further economic development, she said, would ensure the city could weather difficult economic times.

Tisdahl concluded her address by saying, “The future of Evanston looks incredibly good.”

Prominent event attendees included state representatives Robyn Gabel (D-Evanston) and Daniel Biss (D-Evanston), as well as Northwestern President Morton Schapiro and Evanston’s entire city council.

To attend this year’s address, chamber members must pay $30, and non-members must pay $50. The registration deadline is Feb. 24.

Kimberly Railey