Men’s Golf: Northwestern three-peats at Big Ten Match Play Championships

Losing just one individual match throughout the weekend, the Northwestern men’s golf team cruised to its third-straight victory in the Big Ten Match Play Championship. The Wildcats knocked off Minnesota 4-1-1 in the final for the title after defeating Ohio State, Iowa and Penn State on Friday and Saturday. NU has now won 13 straight team matches in the competition since its inception in 2009. The Cats ran through the field of competition despite entering as the No. 7 seed.

NU messes with Texas in Kajikawa Classic

Playing its first games of the season, the Northwestern softball team routed Texas Tech and and upset No. 17 Texas A&M in extra innings, bookending a three-loss stretch. The Wildcats easily disposed of the Red Raiders, imposing the mercy rule in a 14-6 win highlighted by home runs from freshman rightfielder Olivia Duehr, sophomore pitcher Jenny Tyler and senior infielder Adrienne Monka. NU never recovered from a five-run first inning against No. 1 Arizona State in a 10-5 defeat. After a 10-3 loss to No. 12 Washington, the Cats squandered a 5-1 lead to New Mexico, falling 13-5 to the Lobos in five innings. NU closed out the weekend on a high note, plating four runs in the eighth inning for a 6-3 victory over Texas A&M.

– Colin Becht