Pop-Up Art Show occupies vacant Evanston storefront

The “Pop-Up Art Show,” curated by art gallerist Joy Horwich and her two daughters, began Tuesday and will operate until Feb. 19 out of a vacant storefront at 1627 Chicago Ave.

“We just feel like we have unique and special art and that we have really talented artists,” said Jill Bernstein, Horwich’s daughter, who lives in Highland Park.

The exhibit displays pieces for sale from 30 artists from both the Chicago area and outside of Illinois, Horwich said. It marks the third time Horwich and her daughters have run the “Pop-Up Art Show” but the first time their gallery, Joy Horwich Gallery+2, has come to Evanston.

It includes works such as photography, paintings, ceramics and jewelry, Horwich said. About 100 pieces are shown, said Penny Keeshin, Horwich’s daughter, who lives in Deerfield, Ill.

“It’s a very effective concept, you know, to just come into a vacant location, and bring life to it for a finite amount of time,” Keeshin said.

Horwich said in this show she features some artists she represented in her public gallery, the Joy Horwich Gallery, which she ran in Chicago from 1973 until 1998. She is also including some new artists in this exhibit.

“There’s such new talent out there that deserves to be seen, and there aren’t enough venues for artists to show their work, and they should be appreciated,” Horwich said.

The last pop-up show took place at Steinhafels Furniture Superstore, 569 N. Milwaukee Ave., in Vernon Hills, Ill., Keeshin said. She said Joy Horwich Gallery+2 does not stay in a permanent location, creating its “pop-up” effect.

“We don’t know where we’re going to pop up next,” Horwich said.

Horwich leads tours to art-centered events both inside and outside Illinois and overseas, she added. She also helps visitors find artwork to display in their homes.

Horwich said she thinks Evanston residents would take interest in the show’s pieces, which the artists are eager to display.

“I think they’d be intrigued by all the different manifestations of art that they could see in here,” Howrich said. “The artists are excited about bringing work in, and they all have such an optimistic feeling that their work will be seen.”