Five students compete in Amateur Drag show competition

Five students donned stage names, which included Ratchety Ann, Orange Deb, Karen Beaverberg, Gia Graffyk and Dick Van Dyke, for the Rainbow Alliance Amateur Drag Show on Saturday in Harris Hall. The event introduced the potential queens and king for the third annual Northwestern Drag Show to be held on March 10.

The purpose of the show is to give amateurs a chance to prepare for the bigger drag show next month. After the Amateur Drag Show, people with Northwestern email addresses can vote for their top three favorites using an online voting system on the Rainbow Alliance website. The top three contestants will move on to perform at the March Drag Show.

Rainbow Alliance Secretary Cory Slowik, assistant producer for the Amateur Drag Show, ran the event Saturday.

“We wanted to give the amateurs a chance to practice and to be seen,” the Communication sophomore said. “We want to raise awareness for the drag show in March.”

During the show, Slowik asked questions and the five contestants, dressed in costumes, came up with creative responses. Questions ranged from “What is your greatest wish?” to “How many times can you say ‘How can a clam cram in a clean cream can?’ in a row?” Audience members were allowed to ask the contestants questions afterward to get to know each character better.

“We were excited to have so many amateurs interested this year and we hope that interest in the drag show goes up in the future,” Slowik ssaid.

The event was attended mostly by Rainbow Alliance members because it was publicized through the Rainbow email list. However, anyone may participate and attend the Amateur Drag Show.

“This event makes me more excited for the super fabulous show in March,” Slowik said. “It’s going to be awesome.”

The anticipated Drag show, also sponsored by Arts Alliance, will include the top three chosen from the Amateur Drag show, a professional “king” and “queen” hired for the event, ReFresH Dance Crew, Graffiti Dancers and dance group TONIK Tap.

Audience member Elena Westbrook said she had not attended any drag-related events before, but enjoyed the show.

“I liked Orange Deb a lot and they all stayed in character very well,” the SESP sophomore said. “I will definitely be attending the real drag show.”

Weinberg senior and contestant Jeff Geiger was involved all three years of the drag show and has been on the Rainbow Executive Board since his freshman year.

“The Northwestern Drag Show appeals to the most people out of all our events,” Geiger said. “There are lots of straight people.”

The performers who will continue on and appear in the Drag Show in March will be announced closer to the event.