Cook County judge says 7 teens involved in beating may not leave homes, use cell phones

A Cook County judge Tuesday barred the seven teens charged in a videotaped beating from leaving their homes, using their cell phones or communicating with one another.

Labeling the incident as premeditated, Judge Terrence Sharkey called for the Chicago teens to be electronically monitored until their trial date. They will still able to attend school during that time, however.

“This is a conspiracy case,” Sharkey said to the Chicago Tribune, referring to how the teens orchestrated the attack via their cellphones. “I don’t want them mingling.”

Raymond Palomino, 17, was charged as an adult with robbery and aggravated battery, and his bail was set at $100,000 after the Jan. 15 beating. Two 16-year-old boys, three 15-year-old boys and a 15-year-old girl were cited on the same charges and subsequently deferred to the juvenile detention center.

The brutal beating, which was posted to YouTube and went viral, occurred in an alley behind James Ward Elementary School, 2701 S. Shields Ave. In the video, the attackers punched the boy and kicked him in the head.

Palomino’s preliminary hearing is set for Feb. 10.

– Kimberly Railey