Man suspected in two Chicago homicides found dead in Evanston

A 33-year-old Chicago resident suspected of two homicides appears to have shot himself in the head in Evanston, according to an Evanston Police Department news release issued Saturday.

The body of the man, who is identified as Dante Simmons of Rogers Park, was found in the 100 block of Clyde Avenue on Saturday morning, according to the news release. Police recovered a 9mm handgun at the scene, an alley just west of Metra tracks behind a three-story apartment building. The location is about three miles from Northwestern’s campus.

The Chicago Police Department wanted Simmons after a 22-year-old man was slain at 10 p.m. Friday at the River North Walgreens, 315 W. Chicago Ave. Evanston police suspect he was also connected with a homicide Friday night in the 1800 block of West Juneway Terrace, just south of Calvary Cemetery in Rogers Park, according to the news release.

In that shooting, a body was found near the corner of Chicago Avenue and Juneway Terrace. The victim suffered several gunshots and has not been identified, according to the news release. A 9mm handgun was also used in the incident.

According to the Chicago Tribune, Chicago Police issued a statement Saturday that confirmed Simmons was a suspect in the Walgreens shooting but did not confirm he was a suspect in the Juneway homicide.

“Any connection between this subject and any other open homicide investigation has not been determined or verified at this time … detectives are continuing their investigation,” Chicago police said in their news release.

Friday evening, Evanston police responded to a call of several shots fired in the 700 block of Seward Street just before 11 p.m. Evanston Police now believe the call was related to the Juneway homicide, according to the EPD news release.

Jia You