Men’s Basketball: Luka Mirkovic finds ‘second home’ at NU

“Normal.”

It’s the word Luka Mirkovic chose to describe himself, but the word might not fit the on-court persona Northwestern has come to know. The six-foot, 11-inch senior is not a “normal” big man. Coach Bill Carmody recruited him not because of his dominant post-play, but because he could pass the ball.

Mirkovic was known for the mask he wore last season months after breaking his nose. The center no longer has a mask, a decision he made easily.

“My nose is feeling better,” Mirkovic said. “The doctor said that I don’t have to wear it anymore. It healed properly.”

Mirkovic’s journey to Evanston was unorthodox. Born and raised in Serbia, Mirkovic landed in La Porte, Ind., for his senior year of high school. While playing at La Lumiere, a small Catholic high school in La Porte, the center excelled averaging 25 points and 15 rebounds in his one year of high school basketball. That one season caught the attention of Carmody and three Big East schools in the Midwest: Marquette, Louisville and DePaul.

Fast forward five years and Mirkovic is at home in Chicago. He admits that the transition was difficult for him, but already speaking English helped make the relocation smoother for him. The hardest part was getting used to the United States style of basketball.

“It was pretty tough at first,” Mirkovic said. “The basketball is a little bit different here stylistically. Players are much more athletic. This is my fifth year so I’m used to it by now and I think of Chicago as my second home.”

That does not mean Mirkovic does not go back to his native Belgrade. He visits every summer for a month, but his parents have never seen him play in the United States. That will all change in February when his father, Aleksandar, comes to see his son play basketball for the first time since Mirkovic left in the fall of 2007. The month-long trip coincides with Senior Night on Feb. 29 against Ohio State.

“It’s going to be emotional,” Mirkovic said about his dad’s visit. “When I was back home, my family watched every game, but since I got here they haven’t gotten the chance to see me play live. It’s going to be awesome to see my dad in the stands.”

On the court, Mirkovic has been a source of energy for the Cats. His high-energy antics like slapping his own head during the game are his way of pumping up his team and the crowd. But these gestures caused some controversy in a game last season against Purdue.

After hitting his second consecutive three-pointer Mirkovic threw his hands in the air and stuck three fingers up. The Boilermakers faithful started booing the center every time he touched the ball. He is still adamant that it was not supposed to be offensive to the fans, saying it was an impulsive action that resulted from the energy of the game.

The Cats seem to respond to his high energy. Mirkovic said it is always a good thing when the players are motivated and ready to go, especially when going on the road into a hostile environment like the Cats will face in Ann Arbor on Wednesday. Drew Crawford said the team responds well to Mirkovic’s enthusiasm.

“We always enjoy when Luka really brings his energy,” the junior forward said. “It elevates not only him as a player, but also us as a team. When Luka’s playing great and with lots of energy we do the same.”

Carmody went out on a limb and said Mirkovic needs to have even more energy on the court.

“He’s got to get more energy,” Carmody said. “He’s high-energy, but he needs to be higher-energy. That’s important because the ball goes through him a lot, so he’s got to be available, so we can throw it to him and run our stuff.”

Despite all the energy he brings onto the court, Mirkovic is pretty “normal” off the court. He said he is a “very laid back and simple guy” who enjoys reading, going to the movies and hanging out with his teammates and his girlfriend.