Rosenblum: A lot to be proud of even after ninth straight bowl loss

HOUSTON – Families win and families lose, but as long as they stay united, all is never lost.

No, I’m not a corny politician trying to win the Republican nomination for the upcoming 2012 election. I’m a cynical sports reporter admitting that what Northwestern has in Evanston is pretty special, more unique even than its bowl drought, which now stands at 63 years.

Following the Wildcats’ 33-22 loss to the Aggies in the Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas, Pat Fitzgerald sat before the press, with seniors Brian Peters and Dan Persa beside him, looking very much like a father with his two sons.

When a reporter asked about Persa sealing his role in the record books as the NCAA career leader in completion percentage, Peters reached over and massaged Persa’s shoulder, like a proud brother. And as Persa began to speak, the tears that once appeared on the brink of pouring out now receded as Fitzgerald nudged Peters, and with a slight smile, began to silently clap. Peters followed along.

Fitzgerald said he was proud of all of his seniors toward the end of the press conference. Like a father telling his oldest child how much he loves him right before he heads off to college, Fitzgerald reflected back on what they had been through – in particular the unexpected death of the coach who recruited them – and how much this group of seniors meant to him.

“I don’t think I can describe in words how I feel about this group,” Fitzgerald said. “We want to win championships. I won two as a player. It’s the most special thing you can do, but more importantly we want to mold great men, 25 guys who will walk out of this locker room…” The coach paused. “We’re just thankful for them.”

Bowl games are important, and the Cats would like very much to win one. But as fans storm against this team, and the media laughs it off as a perennial loser, Fitzgerald and his family would do well to do what they did during their five-game losing streak: turn a deaf ear. Faith and confidence are imbued in this family. It has successfully built a program, one that has compiled plenty of wins in the regular season, and one of these days, that winning attitude will extend itself into the postseason as well.

Corny stuff aside, NU has a lot of work to do. After falling behind by three touchdowns to Texas Tech in the TicketCity Bowl and 30-7 to Texas A&M in the Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas, it’s clear that NU needs to stop getting its hooves caught in the gate. After getting exposed on multiple third down plays, the Cats need to build up their secondary and pressure. And after getting steamrolled for much of the game, the offensive line needs an upgrade.

There’s no questioning the disappointment that lies in the cracks of this NU program.

“We failed,” Persa said. “We let everybody down and we know it. Hopefully the foundation that we laid, the work ethic that we showed is still around and will push this team over the hump.”

Persa and family are right when they say they’ve built a foundation. The family is there, and if they stick together, a bowl victory will come.

Even if it takes another 63 years….

Former sports editor Jonah Rosenblum is a Medill senior. He can be reached at [email protected].