Men’s Basketball: NU holds on against Tulsa, advances to Charleston Classic final

On Thursday afternoon, John Shurna led the way for Northwestern. On Friday, it was Drew Crawford who stepped up for the Wildcats, scoring 28 points in NU’s 69-65 win over Tulsa.

The junior forward hit 11-of-19 shots from the field, including an impressive 5-of-8 clip from behind the arc.

The victory sends the Cats to the championship match of the Charleston Classic, where they will take on the winner of tonight’s Seton Hall-Saint Joseph’s matchup.

NU won despite hitting just 37.3 percent of its shots from the field. It actually posted a better shooting percentage from behind the arc than it did from inside the three-point line. Once again, the Cats were hampered by very little production from inside the paint. They got outrebounded 45-26 in Friday’s contest.

Steven Idlet and Jordan Clarkson gave NU fits all day, with Idlet draining 5-of-7 shots and contributing seven rebounds from the forward position and Clarkson pouring in 16 points from the outside, including one three that came from at least a foot behind the arc.

But where the Cats were successful was on the defensive end, holding the Golden Hurricane to 44 percent from the field and forcing 15 Tulsa turnovers.