Northwestern partners with Kuwait Science Fair

In an effort to increase its global outreach, Northwestern has partnered with the Kuwait Science Fair, offering a four-year undergraduate tuition scholarship to the first place winner.

The Kuwait Science Fair, established in 2008, is open to students in Kuwait grades eight through 12. It is the largest student science competition in Kuwait, and aims to inspire students to pursue careers in math and science. Since it began, more than 500 students have participated in the fair.

ExxonMobil, co-founder and sponsor of the science fair, approached NU and several other universities to find more sponsors for the fair. The winner of the Kuwait Science fair will receive the scholarship, provided that they apply and are accepted to NU.

Becoming Kuwait Science Fair’s first global partner is a way for NU to increase its global visibility, according to Sacha Patera, NU’s associate director of corporate relations.

“It’s a way to get our name out in the region where we already have a campus,” Patera said, referring to NU’s Qatar campus.

In addition to fulfilling NU’s aspirations for international outreach, Patera said the partnership also proves NU’s commitment to their relationship with ExxonMobil.

“It touches on all three things that we care about: the mission of the University, outreach and relationships with corporate entities in support of our mission,” she said.