ASG passes resolution to increase lighting near sororities

In light of recent safety issues near Northwestern’s Sorority Quads, the Associated Student Government passed a resolution Wednesday supporting the implementation of additional lighting in certain areas of the Quads, specifically the east end near Delta Gamma and Kappa Alpha Theta.

The resolution is a response to the seven robberies reported on or near campus since Oct. 22, including at least two around the sororities’ South Campus quads. The resolution was drafted by Weinberg sophomores Katie Funderburg, an ASG senator for the Panhellenic Association, and Aaron Zelikovich, who represents the Interfraternity Council. SESP senior Kirstin Nordhaus, the president of the Panhellenic Association, signed the resolution.

“There are some really dark spots in the sorority quads,” Zelikovich said. “We feel that more lighting makes it more visible so people are less likely to attack.”

Nordhaus said ASG wanted to address the criminal activity that occurred during the past several weeks.

“There has been an increase in serious events within the southern part of our campus and especially within the Sorority Quads that I think has led to some feelings of being unsafe, which is never a good thing,” she said.

Funderburg said she hopes University administrators take note of ASG’s wishes.

“A resolution means ASG supports increased lighting, so we work with the administration to voice our concern about lighting in those areas,” she said. “I just hope that this brings to the University’s attention a specific part of campus that we feel is unsafe.”

Nordhaus praised the administration for working with ASG on proactive solutions to ensure that students feel safe on and off campus.

“In speaking with the Dean of Students, it’s obvious that the safety of Northwestern students is a priority for every single administrator on our campus,” she said. “My expectations have definitely been met-if not exceeded-by the administration in terms of being proactive and making these positive changes.”

Zelikovich was less enthusiastic, noting that the resolution was passed primarily as a message to the University administration that safety needs to be a top priority.

“We thought that the University was not doing enough or that there could be more done in terms of security,” he said. “We thought [the resolution] was necessary in a timely manner.”

Dean of Students Burgwell Howard emphasized the administration is willing to do whatever is required to ensure the safety of NU students.

“We’re obviously concerned,” Howard said. “This is an ongoing process and if we need to make sure there’s more light available on the porches and the walkways around the south end of the sorority quad, I’m sure the University is willing to work with the sororities to make that happen.”

Daniel McAleer, deputy chief for University Police, said the department supports ASG’s wishes.

“Enhanced lighting is one of the things that can help in the prevention of criminal acts, but there are a number of other factors too,” McAleer said. “We certainly support additional lighting, and we’ve also worked as far as installing more emergency phones and trying to put equipment to help us as far as stopping crime before it happens.”

McAleer noted students need to stay aware of their surroundings at all times and should alert University Police to any suspicious behavior.

The ASG resolution also calls for the Greek Caucus to take further action to improve safety in the area by the start of Winter Quarter. Funderburg said the caucus is looking to reinstitute the SafeWalk program. SafeWalk, in which pairs of trained escorts walk students to their destinations, was first tested by ASG in June 2009.

Zelikovich said ASG is also hoping to work with the SafeRide program in order to optimize it to students’ needs.

“We’re trying to work with SafeRide to create new initiatives that will hopefully ease up the waiting times as well as help people go shorter distances so that more students can utilize what great service we do have here at Northwestern,” he said.

Editor’s note: This article misquoted Kirstin Nordhaus. The article has been updated to reflect the correct statement. The Daily regrets the error.