City committee votes to advance ordinance softening pot penalties

An Evanston City Council committee unanimously approved an ordinance lessening marijuana possession penalties Monday night, bringing it one step closer to officially being on the books.

The ordinance, debated for almost an hour at Monday’s Human Services Committee meeting, would ease punishments for city residents found with small amounts of cannabis. Under the proposed ordinance, those possessing less than 10 grams of pot would be issued a violation notice, ordered to appear before the city’s administrative adjudication division and fined between $50 and $500.

The city’s current law transfers some possession citations to district court in Skokie in addition to the city’s hearing system. If convicted in Skokie, offenders face a class B misdemeanor for possessing anywhere from 2.5 to 10 grams.

Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl pushed committee members to pass the marijuana ordinance, calling 10 grams “a very small amount” to permanently tarnish one’s criminal history.

“We know that having records stops them from getting jobs,” she said of local youth. “We know that we are not stopping their marijuana use with our current laws. So I would say that we definitely should not slow down – that you should recommend that this be approved by the council and that young people’s lives are at stake. So, please, let’s act.”

Before the committee vote, Ald. Jane Grover (7th) suggested an ordinance amendment that would allow administrative hearing officers to require drug counseling or community service on top of possession fines. The committee aldermen agreed to incorporate the proposed amendment in the ordinance draft advanced to city council.

Grover deferred to the city’s legal team to write amendment language in the coming weeks, mentioning council members would not have to vote on the ordinance until the end of November, anyway.

Throughout the committee meeting, city officials repeatedly countered claims that softening punishments for marijuana possession would lead to increased usage of the psychoactive drug.

Tisdahl referenced several studies demonstrating the “de-penalization” of small amounts of pot has little effect on consumption trends.

Ald. Peter Braithwaite (2nd) later echoed Tisdahl’s position, thanking the mayor for “taking such a bold position” on a controversial issue.

“As a parent, I do not think we are communicating it’s OK to smoke marijuana,” Braithwaite said. “I do not think anybody up here is saying it’s OK to smoke marijuana.”

Several local school administrators also offered their insight on how the ordinance would coincide preexisting policies.

Vernon Clark, associate principal for education services at Evanston Township High School, said the school’s policy for handling marijuana possession “seems to be congruent with the mayor’s proposal.”

At the high school, small amounts of marijuana are reprimanded internally and the police do not get involved, Clark said. Instead, the school subjects students to discipline and treatment options.

A large emphasis is also placed on drug education and prevention strategies, he added.

“We know marijuana has become a gateway drug for some of our students who have gone on to become addicted to much more deadly drugs,” Clark said. “There are too many tragic stories that we could tell.”

Although Clark maintained the school has no position on the ordinance, he said it should include an education component if passed.

“Education is probably the best prevention and intervention medicine,” Clark said.

But not all meeting attendees were as receptive to the ordinance’s perceived effects.

Evanston resident Kate Mahoney said marijuana possession stems from gang structure, warning that passing the ordinance could increase gang mobilization in the community.

“With this message where there’s decreased risk, we might end up with increased use both by adolescents and adults, which could actually strengthen the foothold of some of the gangs in Evanston and surrounding areas and work exactly against public safety concerns,” Mahoney said.

She also said unintended racial discrimination could occur if the ordinance were enacted, claiming that African Americans generally use blunts to smoke marijuana that contain more than 10 grams.

“We’d have a great division,” Mahoney said, as she waved one plastic bag containing 10 grams of oregano and another containing a cigar acting as a blunt.

Mahoney said she applauds the mayor’s commitment to helping young people find jobs but believes the city should “slow down” and discuss its goals more in-depth.