That’s my jam: Alex Goldklang

If you thought our generation didn’t respect its elders, then you’ve probably never met Alex Goldklang. The Communication senior, who plays yuppie landlord Benny in the Theatre Interpretation Center’s upcoming production of “RENT,” has a serious case of pop-culture nostalgia-but in the best way possible. Goldklang, a Communication senior, put his “vie boheme” on hold for a hot second to chat with us about swinging ‘60s sex appeal and his undying love for Judy Garland.

The Current: So what’s on your iPod these days? What are you listening to?

Alex Goldklang: Bon Iver’s whole new CD [the self-titled Bon Iver] just kills me. Especially “Perth” and “Calgary.” Beyond that, Judy Garland and some Nicki Minaj.

The Current: What’s the story with Judy Garland?

AG: Judy is my life. She can do no wrong by me. She sings all my favorites. I started listening to her when I was 16-as a joke, kind of, and then I got obsessed. Driving in the car with my high school girlfriend, we’d listen to Judy and she’d be like, “Remind me again why I’m dating you?” But I’m very open about it in college, and girls still date me. Sometimes.

The Current: So is this, like, Wizard of Oz-era Judy, or later-in-life saucy Judy?

AG: No. Saucy, drunk, dying Judy. Carnegie Hall in 1961 Judy.

The Current: What’s your favorite recording of hers?

AG: Judy at Carnegie Hall is my favorite. I listen to it four to six times a week-often twice in a row. Her rendition of “San Francisco” sends me there and back.

The Current: Let’s talk Nicki for a second. Tell me about your relationship with Ms. Minaj.

AG: My roommate turned me on to her, because he says her Pandora station is by far the best for party music. Also, my favorite YouTube video in the whole world-besides the Yes Dance-is that little British girl singing “Super Bass.” [Sophia] Grace Brownlee? I feel like I’m in the video. I feel like I’m her, and I’m just absolutely killing it. She’s so obnoxious! She’s basically my alter ego. A sassy, chubby 7-year-old British girl who can sing like a monster.

The Current: How about your TV lineup? Any shows you’re obsessed with?

AG: I watch “Mad Men” just for the design aspects; how they look, the settings, all of that. I belong in the ‘60s. I would’ve been so hot in the ‘60s! I just don’t fit in in 2011. Funny story: I actually auditioned for NBC’s “The Playboy Club,” and they loved me! But they said I was too short.

The Current: Bummer! How do you feel now that it’s cancelled?

AG: Don’t care. Never watched it.

See Alex in “RENT” on at 8 p.m. Thursdays to Saturdays and at 2 p.m. on Sundays through Nov. 20 at the Ethel M. Barber Theater.

That’s my jam: Alex Goldklang