Winter farmers market encounters legal challenge

Plans to establish a winter farmers market at 1615 Oak St. were interrupted Tuesday when the estate’s lawyer informed organizer Dennis Clarkson the building could not be used as the market’s venue.

Clarkson said he was disappointed to learn the building is in probate court, meaning its property rights are under discussion. The estate lawyer decided against leasing the property after weighing its financial consequences.

“It’s a liability issue the lawyer doesn’t want to deal with for a three-month contract,” said Clarkson, referring to the seasonal nature of the market.

Further information on the legality of the situation is unclear to him at this time, Clarkson said.

The winter market, which was to open Nov. 12, was organized as a way to provide income for farmers and produce for residents during the off-season, Clarkson said. That particular location was preferred because of its accessibility, size and history as a grocery, he said.

The venue, originally called Oak Street Market, was a natural foods store before merging with Whole Foods in 1995, according to a 2000 Cooperative Grocery article.

“1615 Oak St. used to have a lively, indoor fresh produce market, and that was going to be somewhat revived,” said Robin Schirmer, a former coordinator of winter farmers markets.

She said some area residents remember frequenting the original Oak Street Market. Vikki Proctor, president of Friends of Evanston Farmers Markets, said she was excited for the venue’s emphasis on healthy food.

“A lot of us were going, ‘Oh how cool,’ because that’s where we used to shop,” Proctor said.

Oak Street Market planned to sell farm products three days each week, an exceptional frequency for a winter season venue, Schirmer said. Clarkson recruited more than 50 vendors to sell a variety of foods and goods at the market including meats, cheeses, eggs, some fresh produce, handcrafts, alpaca wool and more.

Friends of Evanston Farmers Markets, a nonprofit organization that advocates for local food, was excited about the prospect of the Oak Street Market, member Ann McMahon said.

“A winter market was one of our goals for a year from now,” McMahon said. “And so when Dennis Clarkson did it, it was like wow, this is a miracle.”

Despite the Oak Street project being nixed this week, Clarkson said he will look to find an alternative location for the winter market.

Proctor said she is confident about that possibility.

“This is the first time we’ve had somebody who’s really done some organizing for a winter market, and if Dennis got it off the ground this year, I’m sure it would grow next year,” Proctor said.