BREAKING: Protesters picket at Northwestern for Cantor speech

By noon Friday, around 75 people gathered as part of an “Occupy Northwestern” protest near the venue where Rep. Eric Cantor (R-Va.) spoke about income inequality.

The Majority Leader was scheduled to begin speaking at the Allen Center, 2169 Campus Dr., around 12:15 p.m. Friday. The protesters gathered outside Annenberg Hall.

“Occupy Evanston” promoter Jack Sigel was in attendance and said the Northwestern administration was acting “hypocritically.”

“Northwestern is contradicting its stated mission because it is engaging in censorship,” Sigel said. “The president of NU on down should be ashamed. They’ve sold out their mission to Eric Cantor and the one percent.”

Lauryn Flizeer, an NU graduate student, organized the group. She addressed protestors with a megaphone and thanked the crowd for showing up.

“In light of what happened in Philadelphia just a few days ago Eric Canto was scheduled to speak and Occupy Philadelphia showed up so he decided to leave because he couldn’t face the pressure,” she said.

University spokesperson Al Cubbage, who was observing the protest, said it was “noneventful” and “peaceful.”

By 12:45 p.m., most of the protesters had dispersed from outside Annenberg, Cubbage said.

At around 1 p.m., about 25 to 30 protesters moved to an area in front of Deering Field by Sheridan Road.

Check back later for more updates.