Former Wisc. senator Russ Feingold discusses US ignorance

Former Wisconsin Senator Russ Feingold delivered the 22nd annual Leopold Lecture at Northwestern on Wednesday night. The speech highlighted Americans’ need to learn about other countries in a post-9/11 world.

About 250 people attended the lecture, titled “While America Sleeps: A Wake-up Call for the Post-9/11 Era.”

A reception where students and community members could meet the former senator followed the presentation, said Estelle Ure, Weinberg’s coordinator of special events.

The lecture urged politicians and citizens alike to wake up from their slumber and become aware of the world and numerous threats around them. Feingold said America needs to deal with both foreign and domestic affairs in a proper, balanced way.

“If we cannot as a people learn to walk and chew gum and focus on domestic and international issues, we will not be safe,” Feingold said. “It is our patriotic duty to better understand what is going on in the rest of the world or else we will all suffer.”

The Leopold Lecture is an annual lecture delivered in memory of former NU history professor Richard Leopold.

Weinberg Dean of Students Sarah Mangelsdorf said the event honors Leopold’s life as an academic and a teacher.

“Leopold considered students his family,” Mangelsdorf said. “His high expectations made a real mark on students.”

A committee of faculty and alumni close to Leopold choose the Leopold lecturer every year. The committee’s decision to host Feingold brought an elected politician to the series for the first time in six years, said Michael Sherry, the committee chairman and NU history professor.

“Over the years, the committee has a sought a balance among the speakers, choosing variously among prominent scholars, journalists, policy makers and political figures, and seeking as well variety in terms of their political and ideological stances,” Sherry said. “We have this year chosen Sen. Feingold as a prominent voice in current politics.”

Feingold, the only senator to vote against the Patriot Act in 2001, served as Wisconsin’s U.S. Senator from 1993 to 2011. He also was one of the 10 senators to vote against the act’s renewal.

Students cited Feingold’s individuality and confidence as a politician as motivation for attending the lecture.

“Russ Feingold is unorthodox. Here is a guy willing to research and say what he believes in,” Weinberg freshman Tom Cui said. “His foreign policy ideas are bold.”

Citing his own personal experiences and trips abroad, Feingold warned that oft-overlooked nations, like Yemen and Nigeria, can be potential hotbeds for terrorism. These threats extend beyond locations where American troops are currently stationed, Feingold said.

“We can become better informed. People don’t even know what these countries are about,” Feingold said. “I think Americans, beyond the Peace Corps, should be encouraged to reach out and spend two to three weeks overseas.”

Weinberg freshman Erin Quick agreed with Feingold and said studying abroad is one of her goals as a student.

“I think it is important to spend time in other countries. It’s a big world,” Quick said. “It is important to have the awareness, not just awareness about the U.S.”