Fake checks at Fifth Third, Man searching for change steals vehicle

Fake checks at Fifth Third

A couple attempted to deposit two fraudulent checks at Fifth Third Bank on Saturday.

At approximately 2 p.m., Evanston Police Department officers responded to the Fifth Third Bank at 2440 Main Street., Cmdr. Tom Guenther said.

According to a bank employee, a man and woman had entered together, presenting two checks.

During the routine background check, it was discovered that the couple had a history of prior account abuse, Guenther said.

After the employee contacted TCF and Chase bank, it was discovered that both checks were fake. EPD officers arrested the couple and took them into custody.

Chicago resident James Douglas McGee, 47, presented the checks and was charged with two forgery accounts. He will appear in court Nov. 9.

Man searching for change steals vehicle

Evanston police officers arrested a man driving a stolen vehicle Monday.

EPD officers patrolling Ridge Avenue and Oakton Street noticed a dark blue Volvo SUV that did not stop at the red light at Ridge Avenue, Guenther said.

The officers followed the vehicle and found that it had been reported stolen after checking its registration. The Volvo also ran a red light at Main Street and Asbury Drive. Officers created a road block at 8400 N. McCormick Blvd. in Skokie, facilitating the arrest of 23-year-old Evanston resident Marcus A. Austin.

Austin had been under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, Guenther said. After an additional interview, he revealed that around noon Sunday he had been looking for cars with open doors to collect for loose change when he found the key of the Volvo in the cup holder. He then stole the vehicle.

Austin was charged with unlawful possession of a stolen vehicle and driving under the influence.