Council moves closer to township dissolution

Evanston Township trustees approved Monday the drafting of ballot language for a March 20 referendum that would dissolve the township.

“Few people understand and embrace township form of government,” said Ald. Ann Rainey (8th), who voted in the 5-to-4 majority. “It’s a waste, it’s archaic and we need to move forward.”

The decision came even in light of concerns raised by some council members – including Evanston Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl – that any township-altering structure would prove unwise.

“This proposal worries me more than any other proposal that’s come before us,” said Tisdahl, who also said she felt attempts to pass it through the Illinois General Assembly would require extensive lobbying and time.

Trustees must “use their latitude” with elected officials in the Illinois General Assembly to pursue legislation that would address township and public aid code to make their case, city attorney Grant Ferrar said.

Some trustees viewed these efforts as worthwhile, touting potential benefits they deemed inherent in abolishing the township.

Ald. Coleen Burrus (9th) said such an action would generate at least $500,000 in savings.

“The benefits and salary costs are pretty remarkable, and the number of employees general assistance has seems a little abundant,” said Burrus, referring to the program that allocates various benefits to adults without children.

Rainey pegged savings at an even higher cost – $750,000.

Currently, the City of Evanston and Evanston Township share the same boundaries, sparking comments that township programs could easily be assumed by the city government.

That move would promote greater efficiency and possibly even increase the housing and personal benefits that are distributed, Rainey said.

At the meeting, Evanston Township assessor Bonnie Wilson emphasized the township’s role in providing services to taxpayers. Wilson said her office provides “much needed services,” which include helping seniors applying for exemption benefits and assisting residents making tax appeals.

“My staff and I are very honored to help Evanston taxpayers and be their advocate,” said Wilson, as she pointed to a box full of files representing taxpayers township staff has helped.

Ald. Delores Holmes (5th) said services like the general assistance program are endangered if not provided by the Evanston Township, arguing the state is ill-suited to assume such duties.

“It’s irresponsible for us to talk about abolishing the township without having a firm plan of what’s going to happen to the general assistance fund,” Holmes said.

In response to fears over the program’s survival, City Manager Wally Bobkiewicz said he believes it could become incorporated into the City’s community and economic development department.

Bobkiewicz added he would be “happy to come back” with a detailed plan at another meeting in November, though that date was unclear.

The last township-dissolving action in Illinois occurred in Williamson County in 1932, indicating the “very rare” nature of the trustees’ deliberation, Ferrar said.

The township resolution must be filed with the Illinois State Board Elections by Jan. 3, 2012.