Small Screen Selections: MTV puts the Jersey… well, back in Jersey

After a month of partying, smushing, screaming and crying, the Jersey Shore gang prepares to say “Arrivederci!” to Florence-the crew gleefully returns to New Jersey to what will most likely be the final season for this cast. (Key word: this cast. Shudder.) We anticipate that they’ll leave in their wake a full-blown, weeklong celebration by all native Florentines.

The team certainly made their mark on the city, literally and figuratively, as they could most often be spotted being publicly wasted, morning or night, rain or shine. Despite the mayor’s fervent mandates against public debauchery, our favorite cast of spray-tanned misfits managed to find themselves knee-deep in everything from public screeching matches to run-ins with the police.

This season, like most others, managed to feature obscene amounts of drama, while nothing substantial actually occurred. Regardless of the ups and downs, everything is still in its proper place: The Situation is still generally despised, Ronnie and Sammi are still the will-they-won’t-they couple that no one really cares about, and Snooki is still the only orange, bouffant-wearing, bedazzled gnome this side of Narnia. In other words, we’ve come full circle. And what a weird, smush-cestuous circle it’s been.

The penultimate episode ended with The Situation sitting alone in the gorgeous Florentine villa the crew has called home for the past month (remind me again why they are so eager to go home?) while the rest of his friends were out partying on their last weekend in Florence. This sets up massive (read: contractually obligated) impending drama as Mike ponders his place in the group dynamic, and where he’ll fit in when they return to the Jersey Shore. The suspense!

… But other than that, you can expect the gang to go out with a massive bang and likely fabricate more drama in one hour than the entire season combined. Tune in tonight to witness Hurricane GTL make its final tear through Florence before it returns in a full force to the Jersey Shore.

The “Jersey Shore” finale will air tonight, Oct. 20, at 9 p.m. on MTV.

– Mackenzie Bronk