Walfish: Joy awaits away from the gridiron

Hey Wildcats fans, do you need to take some time away from the frustration of the football team’s four-game losing streak? Are you starved for a Northwestern victory of some sort?

Well, what if I told you that I could get you that elusive win before Penn State even arrives in Evanston? It’s a simple solution. Just go out and support some of our other fine fall sports teams. Football isn’t the only fall sport, believe it or not. My hope is to convince you to go to at least one of the following games and support your fellow students. If nothing else, it’s an excuse to not study for those midterms this week.

Let’s start with Wednesday. I suggest you head over to Welsh-Ryan Arena at 7:00 and watch our volleyball team play. Northwestern may only be 10-9, but the team has kept it close with a couple of ranked teams this season. They forced then-No. 8 Penn State to five sets in Happy Valley (the first two sets NU has taken from Penn State since 2003) and then rallied to bring No. 20 Michigan to five sets on Saturday. One reason to go is to see the best team in the country get upset by the Cats. NU has never been outmatched this season and is bound to give No. 1 Illinois a challenge. More importantly, this is your chance to see me turn into a, shall we say, passionate fan as opposed to the reasoned intellectual whose work you’re currently reading.

If volleyball isn’t your sport, head over to Lakeside Field to see our men’s soccer team (7-4-3). This is the Cats’ last non-conference match of the season and it’s a perfect opportunity to see NU get a W. NU takes a five-game unbeaten streak into its 7:00 matchup with Loyola (Chicago). The Cats are unbeaten in conference play and are 5-1-1 at home this season.

On Thursday, why not make a return trip to Lakeside Field and watch our women’s soccer team take on Illinois at 7:00.

The women’s team has finally turned a corner in its season, picking up its first Big Ten win against Michigan on Oct. 8, rallying late to tie Wisconsin last Friday before finally losing a close game to Minnesota on Sunday. This team may not have the great record or star player you desire, but it’s is young and gaining experience and confidence with each game. Besides, the Big Ten Tournament comes to Evanston for the first time in over a decade on Nov. 2, so this is the perfect opportunity to get familiar with this team before you go support them in the tournament.

On Friday, celebrate the end of classes with the field hockey team back at Lakeside Field at 3:00. The team is ranked 19th in the country and its opponent is 2-10 this season. Obviously, this is the best opportunity for the Cats to take home the big win and should help launch the field hockey into the final week and a half of conference play. You can say you saw the greatest field hockey player ever to play, coach Tracey Fuchs, and the greatest field hockey player ever to play at NU, junior forward Chelsea Armstrong.

Before you head over to Ryan Field on Saturday to watch NU take on Penn State in football, head back to cheer on the field hockey team as it takes on Iowa. It’s the perfect way to exact your revenge from last Saturday.

Once you go out and support our other athletic teams this week, you’ll be a winner once again, and ready to cheer on the Cats as they take down the Nittany Lions on Saturday night.

Assistant sports editor Josh Walfish is a Medill sophomore. He can be reached at [email protected]