Blotter: Oct. 19

Man cited for alcohol-fueled cab flight

An Evanston man was charged with a city noise ordinance violation and possession of open alcohol after refusing to pay his cab fare early Monday morning.

Evanston Police officers responded to a cab fare dispute around 3:45 a.m. on the 100 block of Ridge Avenue, Cmdr. Tom Guenther said.

The passenger, 48-year-old city resident Abderrahman Zineddine, was refusing to pay a $26 cab fare and spitting in the back seat, Cmdr. Tom Guenther said.

The intoxicated passenger did not comprehend that his credit card had been declined and refused to provide another form of payment.

Police tried to intervene and offered to escort him home, where he could get some money. At the location, the man became uncooperative and refused to go inside.

EPD officers stated he would be taken to the station if he refused to pay the fare, to which he began yelling, “take me to jail!” along with incoherent statements.

The officers discovered the man had an open bottle of Remy Martin Fine Champagne Cognac in his pocket.

Police charge woman with battery

EPD officers charged an Evanston woman with battery after she insulted and provoked another woman Monday afternoon.

The woman had been talking to a friend on the 1700 block of Monroe Street when an Evanston resident pushed her head with a finger and asked, “What do you want to do now?” She responded saying she did not want to fight, and the other woman then hit her.

When police arrived, they detected a strong scent of alcohol on the woman, who agreed she had provoked the fight.

– Maria Baradzina

View Oct. 19 in a larger map