Football: As chain crew member recovers from heart attack, prayers abound

Fans who arrived early to Ryan Field on Saturday night were part of a moment far scarier than any blown halftime lead.

Chain crew member Fred Gilson, 83, who has roamed the Northwestern sidelines for the past 47 seasons, suffered a heart attack about 45 minutes before the start of the Wildcats’ matchup with the Wolverines.

“The entire Northwestern community is praying for a full recovery of our family member, Fred Gilson,” Athletic Director Jim Phillips wrote in an email Tuesday. “Fred has been an integral part of the football game operations for the past (47) seasons. He remains in our thoughts, prayers, and hearts during this difficult period and the entire NU community stands by his side every step of the way.”

An ambulance was brought on to the field to drive Gilson to Evanston Hospital, where his condition stabilized, according to The Chicago Tribune. Phillips spent the duration of the match with Gilson and didn’t even know the score of the game until well after 11 p.m.

NU declined to comment on Gilson’s condition, but Cats coach Pat Fitzgerald hinted at a positive prognosis.

“We’ve certainly had Fred in our thoughts and prayers the past few days,” Fitzgerald said. “We were thrilled to hear that he was resting comfortably at the hospital earlier this week. We wish him a speedy recovery and hope he can get back on the sidelines in the coming weeks.”

Evanston Hospital had no record of Gilson as of Monday night.

Saturday’s cardiac incident was only the latest in a series of medical issues throughout the Big Ten. Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio suffered a heart attack last season and Minnesota coach Jerry Kill suffered a seizure on the sidelines earlier this season.

NU had its own experience several seasons ago, when Fitzgerald’s predecessor, coach Randy Walker, suffered a heart attack and died when he was just 52 years old.